The Peddle House at the northwest corner of Mantua Ave and Clinton Ave circa 1880 --- Courtesy of the WHS Museum
Wenonah 1874. Courtesy of WHS Museum.
Description of photo by Frank Gramenzi.
Mantua Ave there to the left looking east towards Glassboro Road. Small white fence (above rail cars) is the edge of the park, The Wenonah House upper right. Photographer standing on S West Ave by Post Office.
View of the north end of the station looking south toward Sewell and Pitman. On the left just past the end of the station you can see the front of a Chevrolet Corvair. The Corvair was first sold in 1960 so this photo has to be from some date after 1960.
The station was built in 1893 by the West Jersey & Seashore Railroad according to research done by Frank Eggert.
Here's the program for Wenonah's very first July 4th celebration. It's from 1872, the same year the Wenonah House was opened and the year before Wenonah was incorporated. In 1872, there were 10 houses in Wenonah and during the summer season, the 40-room Wenonah House was fully booked. Two more items that you may find interesting: the celebration started at 5:00 AM and ended at 11:30 PM --- a full 18 1/2 hours; and dinner and supper could be purchased from the Wenonah House for 75 cents and 50 cents, respectively.
Photo courtesy of WHS.
An undated photo looking west on an unpaved Mantua Ave with a horse and buggy in the distance.
Wentzell printed on photo. There is a man standing above the word Wentzell. Is the man a member of the Wentzell family?
--- Courtesy of WHS Museum
The Ponitiac auto dealership behind the Fredrick's home at 203 W. Mantua Ave. The gentleman on the left is George Fredrick and the one in the middle is Charles Fredrick.
Some very nice photos were donated on May 3, 2015, to the WHS Museum by Cindy Norris, the daughter of Ed and Nancy Fredrick. This one is of the Sinclair Station, which was located on the corner of W Mantua Ave and S West Ave. I remember it well and I'm sure many of you do, too,
Sinclair leaped ahead of most of its competitors with H-C, the industry's original high octane premium gasoline for motor cars.
Take a stroll around town and check out these earliest Wenonah homes, some even pre-date Wenonah. Click on the links below to see other panels of the brochure.
Here's one of many original deeds in the WHS Museum of early land transactions in Wenonah. This deed is for a lot sold by George W. Bailey to The Mantua Land and Improvement Company in 1886. The lot, which is at the northwest corner of Mantua Ave and Lincoln Ave, was sold for $300. (Note that Lincoln Ave was once known as Hamilton Ave.)
Click on the links below to look at the rest of the deed.
A Brief History of the Borough of Wenonah
In December 1870, a railroad station, which was much too elegant to transport produce form the local farmers, was about all that stood in the beginning of the town that we now know as Wenonah. There were farms, mainly growing sweet potatoes, but they had been there long before the train station.
Be sure to scroll down to read Mayor Dale T. Taylor's message concerning the trials of government in the 1990's.
100th Anniversary Wenonah Train Station Built in 1893, it was described in the newspapers as Wenonah's new handsome station. It replaced the small "Mantua Station at Wenonah" built in 1870. After closing of passenger service in 1949, it was abandoned and fell into disrepair. Through the efforts of the Railroad Station Restoration Committee and many involved citizens, it was restored and is now Wenonah's handsome community center—a tribute to its hundredth birthday.
ANNUAL MAYOR'S MESSAGE
Our last photo-postcard from Christine Flowers --- a very familiar building to Wenonahians. Thanks again for your donation, Christine!
This building was opened in 1894, see WHS Newsletter, November, 2008, page 2.
A contribution from one of our newest members, Jenn Pizi. This is the first page of a brochure that was used to sell the Comey Estate when Robert H. Comey sold his home in 1924.
This photo is gift from Christine Flowers.
John Dominy reports that he recalls that the warehouse on the far side of Mantua Ave burned down about 1984.