Jeff Wentzel donated this booklet.
[transcription of note to Mr. John Wanamaker]
June 25, 1896
Mr. John Wanamaker
13th & Market Sts.
We have not yet had
bill for the Waste Paper baskets
and _gata ware shipped
by on you our order #43
Please have detailed bill
sent at once.
by Howard Hall
[transcription of note to Mr. Thos Bradley]
June 27, 1896
Undated article by Milton Webb, Jr. about the Howard-Wentzel Building at 7 West Mantua Avenue. Note the photo of the 1914 Fourth of July parade passing in front of it. (Courtesy of WHS Museum)
Click on the link below for a larger version of the image.
The article must have been written sometime between the founding of Keller Insurance in 1984 and the passing of Milton Webb, Jr. in 2001.
This image was shared by both Jean Marie Puhlman and George Braun. George puts the time of the image as after 1897 and before 1910.
Jean Marie Puhlman shared this image from her collection of photos of Little Grange, which was built in 1896 by Edward L. Farr and is located at 300 East Mantua Ave.
Here's a sampling of what Dorothy Shuman donated from the earliest years of the Garden Club of Wenonah. It appears the club started in January/February 1921. The donated material shows the Garden Club remained active until at least 1944.
We received a donation from Dorothy Shuman via Carol Wiltsee. Included in the donation were the earliest achives from the Garden Club of Wenonah, several pictures from the Panama Canal construction, and this program from the 1925 commencement of the Wenonah Public School.
Here's the first photo from Rick Mitchell --- 206 East Willow Street from the South Princeton Avenue side. This photo was given to Rick by Sue McNally when Rick and Marna Carlton closed on the purchase of the house. The photo is undated, but Rick suspects it was taken earlier than 1913 when some changes were made to the house.
206 E. Willow was built in 1888. The original owner was Charles Wilkens.
View the second photo here.
1932 Wenonah Grammar School class, ready for a play about George Washington's life --- courtesy WHS Museum.
And the most of the names of the cast were recorded on the back of the photograph.
This 1925 photo of 3 East Poplar Street is the oldest of the four photos that Christian Limbert gave Carol Wiltsee. Janet Hutchinson Limbert, Christian's mother, is on the right and Valentine (Val) Roth, a long-time Wenonah resident, is on the left. Janet and Val were the grandchildren of Arthur E. Davis.
Winter scene at the same address circa 1935.
Winter of 1942.
Here's the fourth postcard that the WHS received from Rick Mitchell --- the train crossing at Mantua Avenue, more than decade before the street was paved. The postmark is dated August 25, 1909, and the postage is only a penny.
Rick Mitchell recently donated four postcards to the Wenonah Historical Society. Here's the first one --- a very timely one since Bill Caraker and Bob Bevilacqua spoke about the Wenonah Cemetery at our last meeting.
Click on the link below the postcard to see a view of the Wenonah Cemetery from October, 2014 via Google street view.
The second postcard donated by Rick Mitchell is one of the Wenonah United Methodist Church located at S. CLINTON AVE & EAST WILLOW ST, WENONAH, NJ 08090. Originally the Methodist Episcopal Church, it was dedicated on June 7, 1885. The note on the side of the postcard is dated June 8, 1907.
Here's a great photo of 3 East Mantua Avenue in late 1800s with a brief history at the top. (Courtesy of WHS Museum)